Monday, March 16, 2015

Star Wars vs. Harry Potter


This week was good. We need to find new investigators, so we're contacting more people and we're having members come out to teach with us more. We're working with the PF's (people who have family members who are members) a lot as well. We're also starting to do family home evening in the members' houses about twice a week, where we invite everyone we're teaching to come. We have one tonight and we're teaching about the Spirit and how we can recognize it. We had intercambios with the Hermanas from La Marina that were having a hard time together. They're still having a hard time. I was in their sector with the new Hermana, and it's like she just started the mission yesterday. She really doesn't know how to do, like, anything. I don't mean that to sound harsh, I just mean she really hasn't been trained in a lot of things. We also talked a bit about the importance of obedience. Her companion has been pretty disobedient. And we can also tell that the new Hermana seems to be afraid of her companion sometimes. I know they don't talk very much. I don't know if they've fought before. I know I have seen moments where the trainer doesn't treat her companion very well. The new Hermana is very sweet and I know that she can be a very great missionary, but I just know there are a lot of things she is lacking in her training.

So remember the missionary who had a problem with her legs and we didn't know if she was gonna go home or not? She ended up going home on Tuesday. We had her companion, Hna T, with us for a day until she got what we call a "mini missionary" (just a member who got permission from Presidente Borg) to be her companion for the rest of the cambio. Remember how Hna T's last companion, Hna S, had to go home because she had a problem with her knee and Hna T was with us for about a day and a half? Man, she's just killing everyone off! I also heard something sad today. Remember my hija, Hermana L? Well, looks like she'll be going home with my group. Looks like she has a problem with her liver. I remember that when she came to the mission. She has pancreatitis or something like that. I remember she had to tell member what she could and couldn't eat. And sometimes she had to rest. Looks like it got to the point where now she has to be sent home early. Pobrecita.

Hahaha okay, this is funny. So after church yesterday, all 4 of us went to eat with the familia D M. They are so funny! We ate with the mom, and her 3 kids. The dad's not a member and he wasn't there. During lunch, L, the son, starts talking to me about Lord of the Rings and Star Wars. He LOVES both of those, but especially Star Wars. So he was talking to me all about random facts and stuff about Lord of the Rings, when his older sister, M, turns to me and says, "I have one thing to ask you. Do you like Harry Potter?" And I was like, "Oh, I LOVE Harry Potter!" Then she was like, "HA!" to her brother. And that's when the argument started. Then the whole table got in a big debate about which one was better. We had basically everyone against L on the Harry Potter side. Then we started talking about things from Harry Potter that would be useful in real life, like the time turner and the marauder's map and everything. L kept trying to argue, saying things like, "Harry Potter was too predictable. Everyone knew that Harry was gonna win and Voldemort was gonna die. Nobody knew what was gonna happen in Lord of the Rings." Then M cuts him off and starts saying things like, "No! Who knew Harry was gonna find the resurrection stone in the snitch?! Did you?! NO!" Then L came back with, "Do you know what story has the closest relation to the gospel? Star Wars. Do you know how many they have in their council? 12. Like the 12 apostles." So M came back with, "DO YOU KNOW HOW MANY MEMBER THERE ARE IN THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX? MORE THAN 12! 24! THAT'S 2 SETS OF APOSTLES! HA!" Then I asked M if she's ever read the Harry Potter scripture. She says no. So I tell her to go to Doctrine and Covenants 38:28. She pulls it up on her phone and reads, "And again, I say unto you that the enemy in the secret chambers seeketh your lives." Then she gives it to her brother to read and shouts "HA! IT'S IN THE SCRIPTURES!" Then L goes, "NO! THAT'S APOSTASY! THAT'S APOSTASY! IT'S APOSTASY!" Then M and I were like, "How can it be apostasy?! It's in the scriptures!" Hahaha well, there was more to that big debate, but I don't have time to write it all. But it was funny. Haha that family's crazy.

Anyway, I can't think of much else that happened this week. Wow, felicidades to Pauline! I can't believe she's getting ready to go already! Yeah! That'd be so cool to run into the Garrisons at the airport!

Have a great week! I'll try to send pictures soon! Time ran out this week...

Love,
Hermana Chrisanne Hymas

No comments:

Post a Comment