Monday, February 2, 2015

Carnavales

WHAT! Becky had a baby?! Wow. I can't believe how fast time flies during the mission. Welp, felicidades, Becky! Be safe in all that ice and cold weather! I continue to sweat under the sun here. I also always have my black backpack on, so as you can imagine, my back just ends up completely wet everyday. And I swear I was sweating buckets just walking to lunch yesterday after church.

Ew! I'm sitting next to a man right now you reaks of cigarette smoke! I'm dying. Save me!

So K, who just got baptized, is doing really well and she and her mom have a lot of support from the ward. We took them to the local institute to do their family history in the family history center we have there. They're doing their family history work now and they are really excited about it. They're doing well. Her mom even printed out a name to take to the temple. We're going as a zone to the temple on the 10th, and we might see if we can go early and do temple work there with them. By the way, I told you I found a ton of names on FamilySearch who all have work ready to be done! It's really cool! Last week, I mentioned to Hermana Terry that I couldn't really advance in my family history work because everyone already has their work done. Then she was like, "Nope, there's more." And she showed me something really cool. I've been gathering really disntant family members for a couple days. I'm not done either. I started on Dad's side. I'll teach you how. Go to FamilySearch.org and log in, then go to your family tree. In the left-hand corner, you can change the view. Change it to descendancy. Then click on the little blue link in the same corner that says expand. It'll show you your tree as far back as your grandparents. Pick your mom's side or your dad's side, then just keep doing that same thing. Expand, and click on a grandparent of that person. The goal is to go as far back as you can. I don't know if that makes sense. Then, when you've gone back as faar as you can, click on every little arrow that's in a little gray circle that looks like this >. It'll drop down a line of that person. Be sure to click EVERY one of those little arrows. This shows a ton of people. Distant cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. Then when you find someone who has a green temple icon next to their name, that means their work's ready. Sometimes it'll say possible duplicates exist. The missionaries in the family history center taught me how to deal with that. If you need help with that, go head and ask so I can explain next time. I don't have time to explain that right now. Everyone else, you should be able to click on the green temple and "solicitar ordenanzas" (I don't exactly know what that translates to on the english site). But I'm gathering a list of them and there's still a lot more to go. You can enter into my account and print some out to do the work for them back home too if you want. I just have to pick one of those names to print out and take to the temple naxt week. I still need to look at it.

We had intercambios this week. I stayed in my sector with Hermana B and my companion went with Hermana A. Hermana B is good and I like the way she teaches. However, she's having a hard time with her companion. I gave her some advice. Her companion is really hard and all of her companions have had problems with her. We'll be checking up on them to see how they're doing.

So, yesterday started Carnavales here in PerĂº. During the whole month of February, Peruvians play Carnavales, which is just where they soak other people with water whenever they want. Water balloons, a hose, a bucket of water, etc. Last year, I never got hit, and usually the missionaries don't get hit, at least not very much. Last year I heard of a couple sisters in my zone who got hit once, but just a little bit. So we were walking yesterday and you guessed it. A car drove by and someone pegged me with a water balloon. I was walking on the side facing the street, and my companion was walking on the side facing the inside of the sidewalk, so she didn't get hit. The balloon hit my side and exploded. It was a little inconveniente because it got me all wet and it soaked a Book of Mormon I had in my hand, but then of the other side it felt good on a hot day and we ended up giving away the Book of Mormon (after it dried a little) to a family we contacted in a park. We're actually playing Carnavales as a zone today for p-day. I'm excited. Water games are always fun.

That's all I can really think of this week. I don't know why but the end of this week has been a little weird. I can't really describe it. I just feel weird sometimes. Maybe it's when I get frustrated or something, I don't know. But I'll tell ya, reading your letters make a difference! Thanks! Have a great week!

Don't have time to write the others, just to let them know. Maybe next week!

Love,
Hermana Chrisanne Hymas






 
Pictures of K's baptism and goofing off in the bathroom while K gets dressed.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment