Monday, October 27, 2014

Choko Slamming and Staying Up Too Late

So...what happened this week? Oh yeah, Hermana M abandoned me! I was so sad when they told us Monday night that she was getting transferred. We kept asking our district leader if it was a joke. He kept saying no. His companion even got on the phone and said, "I promise you this is not a joke." So after we hung up, Hermana M was like, "Okay, if it's a joke, they'll call us back." But they never called us back. We didn't have much time to meet with people to say goodbye. We had a lesson that night, and then after that, Hermana M wanted to go visit her convert, D. So we called him to see if he would be home. He said yes, but that he was on his way to meet up with Hermana M's boyfriend who was flying back into Lima that night. We were like, "What the..." But yeah, we went by a little later, and when we got there, we saw D at a pay phone, trying to call us. Then he motioned to us to stay where we were, and he kept going in and out of an internet cafe, and he looked like he was talking to someone in there. I knew right away what was going on. Hermana M's boyfriend was in that internet cafe. D came over to us, but he looked super suspicious. That boy is such a bad liar. Hermana M knew what was up too. But she pretended like she didn't. She'd motion to the internet cafe and say things like, "Wanna go work on your family history for a little bit?". But D would be like, "No! It's okay...we can work on it in my house, but I don't want to go into the internet place." Such a bad liar. So there you go. Once again, Hermana M's boyfriend was only a few feet away from us here in Carmen de La Legua.

So that night, Hermana M didn't get any packing done. We decided to have a last hurrah by going up to the rooftop to hang out and "choko slam". Let me explain what that is. There is a chocolate covered cracker thing here called Choko Soda. It is my favorite. I've actually made it my mission to introduce my companions to it and get them all addicted. It works. They all become addicted. Hermana M's now addicted, but she found a cool way to eat it. I'll have to take some home and teach you how, but you just bite two of the corners, sick one corner in a bowl of milk, and suck the milk through the cracker through the other end. Then eat the saturated cracker. That's "choko slamming". So we went up to the rooftop of our appartment, found an abandoned couch, choko slammed, and just talked. We stayed up really late talking. Like, past 1 am. But it was fun. Ugh, I hate this computer!!!! I was gonna send a recording of that night because it was kind of funny. But you know what happened? I plugged in my ipod and the computer immediately erased absolutely EVERYTHING from my ipod! So now, there is nothing whatsoever on there. No recordings, no music, nada. Ugh! It makes me so mad! I can't even listen to all the music you all sent me on the ipod a while ago. I'm not even gonna try putting in my flash drive or camera today. At least not in this crappy computer. I'm pretty sure with the music files you just sent me, I can put those on a flash drive. But I'll try that next week...on a different computer.

Then cambios came. That morning we dropped Hermana W off at the mission office and said goodbye. She was here with her family, but she just flew home last night. I don't know why, but I wasn't too nervous in the meeting of cambios. I feel like maybe it's because I've gotten a new companion ever transfer for the last while, maybe I'm just used to it. Hermana M went to my old zone, Maranga, but not the same ward. I got a new companion named Hermana A. She's 23 and from Sinaloa, Mexico, which apparently is a pretty dangerous place. I actually knew her in Maranga. We were in the same ward/district. I talked with her all the time and stuff, and she was cool to be around sometimes, but I was a little nervous if she ever became my companion. Just because she's pretty strict and really high strung. It kind of stresses me out sometimes. And she makes a big deal out of a lot of things that don't even really matter. I feel like she kinda also stresses out a bit about the numbers. I feel like if something doesn't really go as planned or if we have a day that's not so great, I've learned to just kinda let it slide off my back. I care about reaching goals and improving and getting better and stuff, but I feel like if something goes wrong, it doesn't really matter. Because 1, there's not much you can do about it, and 2, it'll all work out in the end. But my companion doesn't really think like that. But it's all good. It'll be fine.

I didn't actually got to do the Project Rimac thing like I was invited to do. They switched somethings around and they decided to have more missionaries closer to Maranga do it. I was looking forward to it, but whatevs. Hermana M got to do it. She got permission to call me that day because she can't find her credit card and thinks she left it in our room or something. Haha it was fun to talk to her a little. Today for p-day, apparently we made tacos (well, most of us just ate them) and then we were supposed to play sports with Zona Maranga afterwards. But they called and said they weren't gonna do it, because no one wanted to. But we were trying so hard to get them to come, just so that we could see M and another Hermana that Hermana H wanted to see. It took a while, but Hermana M showed up really quick just to pick up some things from me that she left in our room. Man, I miss her. Missin' my M mucho.

We also found out this week that the conference we were supposed to have on the 31st with Elder C. Scott Grow got cancelled because he's sick. I was also looking forward to that, but oh well. I think we'll be having it sometime in the future.

Guess what! There's an Elder in my zone, who just entered the mission a couple cambios ago, with Hermana A, and he grew up in our stake! Valley Forge stake! He moved when he was like 9 or 10 or something, I think, but he remembers some people from his ward, like the Kline's and the Rolon's. Small world! His name is Elder Sok in case anyone remembers the Sok family. He's pretty funny. He's pretty new with the whole Spanish thing, so he says, "Having a non-English speaking companion is like speaking to a brick wall. But that wall speaks back, but just in the language of brick."

Hmm, what funny things happened in the jungle this week... We saw two little children chasing a sheep wearing a diaper through the big market area. Yes, the sheep was wearing the diaper. We may or may not have followed them just to get a picture with the sheep. Our pensionista, who is an active member, who also worked in the temple, started drinking wine during one of our lunches with her this week. You could just see all of us missionaries looking around at each other. Haha man, I just started laughing. We also went to this one house to visit a family, who ended up not being home, but when I went to ring their doorbell, I notice out of the corner of my eye that it seemed like the lights in the restaurant next to us turning on and off. Then a lady comes out of the restaurant and says, "Hey, that's not a doorbell! That's a lightswitch!" Oops. We also passed by a less active man who also happens to be transvestite. But this time, we passed him and he wasn't wearing anything other than a women's red leather jacket, just covering what it needed to cover. No pants. You also never think you'd be looking into the eyes of a less active member, who happens to be a transvestite, singing BeeGee's and the Eagles as he plays the guitar in the middle of the marketplace. Yes, that's happened with Mackey and I. Welcome to the jungle.

Don't have any more time! I love you all! Hope you have a great week!

Hermana Chrisanne Hymas

No comments:

Post a Comment