Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Training a Gringa

So, yes. I am training again. However this time, I'm training a gringa. Her name's Hermana Amis (Ay-miss), she's 19 and she's from Salt Lake. Haha it's hard for people to differentiate the pronunciation of our last names. So even though I am training again, this time is a little bit harder, because not only am I teaching her our sector and how to be a missionary, but I'm also teaching her Spanish. So it's a little harder. But the thing is is that I completely understand what she's going through right now. I'm trying to help her the best I can. And to be honest, it's hard for me to watch her struggle. But at the same time, I have to push her a little bit with the Spanish. I've been doing my very best to only speak Spanish with her, but sometimes, she responds or just talks to me in English because she knows I'll understand it anyway. I've gotta help her feel a little more comfortable about speaking in Spanish all day. I think she's sometimes a little embarrassed. But with practice and time, she'll feel better.

Cambios were sad! It was sad to see a group of some really awesome missionaries go up and give their testimonies. My mom, Hermana N, gave her testimony! And I don't know when I'll see her again. ...Actually, I think there will be a couple times before she leaves. I think she might come to the next cambios just to watch them, right before she leaves. I know Hermana R told me that that's what she's gonna do. I'm thinking I might see her a couple times before she goes back home to Mexico as well. I think we might actually have a little p-day with her zone/my old zone, Magdalena! That'll be fun. Side note: Hermana R gave me a little card that she and one of her old companions, Hermana B made for me. Hahahaha I laughed and everyone else who say it laughed as well. They cut out my face from a picture of our zone making funny faces. It's pretty bad. Maybe I'll have to take a picture and send it to you. I'm trying to work on sending my pictures right now, but this computer's doing lame today. Hey, that's another thing! Could you maybe send me padded envelopes or something to maybe send home a flash drive with a bunch of pictures?

So I had no idea I was training again. I actually was positive I wasn't because before cambios, the trainers go to the offices to have a little meeting on training, if you've trained before or not. But, I never got the call. But I heard about everyone else who was at the meeting. Turns out it was just a little glitch or something that I never got the call. So I was sitting there, thinking I would receive the Hermana who I was sure was gonna come to me. And she did come to my district, but she's with my old companion, Hermana Z. And when I saw that, I was like, "What the heck? Who's coming to me?" And then my picture came up and President Borg said, "Hermana Hymas will receive and train.....Hermana Amis!" And then my mouth literally dropped open. And I didn't move for a couple seconds. And then I covered my mouth with my hand. Then I walked up to the front to pick her up haha.

The work's been okay. It's been a little hard. We're working with an investigator right now who has a baptismal date for this upcoming Saturday, but she didn't come to Church yesterday and we're a little worried about that. We have to go talk to her about that. Marisol went on vacation a little bit right after her baptism, and I think she actually came back home today. We have to call her. I'm excited to see her again.

Today for p-day we went into central Lima to go into a big Catholic church and underneath it and everything to see the Catacombs. Man, some of us were talking about that and how, like, you just cannot feel the Spirit in churches/cathedrals like that. There's such a difference.

Sorry that little story about almost getting robbed scared you all. Maybe I shouldn't have told it. We're still working on getting a new place to live. I am glad we got away safely. Keep praying for us. I also know that the Lord has been protecting us. And my testimony has been growing so much. I've come to really love the mission. And oh my goodness the Church is so true and it makes me so happy!

I have to go now. Have a great week! I love you all! I had limited time to write this week, so I didn't get to write everyone back yet. Just the family letter. But thanks for writing me, everyone! And I'll try to get back to you all next week! Love you! Have a fantastic week!

Love,
Hermana Chrisanne Hymas

No comments:

Post a Comment