Monday, July 14, 2014

Sheep Pong and World Cup

Yes, you can accept the friend requests from all those people for me! I know all of them and they're all really awesome people! Neyda's birthday was yesterday! And we're going out for pizza with her tomorrow night! And I know! I called Lucero the night she opened her call! She's really excited.

So I apologize again for not writing very much last week. So let me tell you a bit about what happened last week! Last week was fun! We celebrated the 4th of July! Well, sort of. When I say we celebrated, I mean we just went to TGI Friday's for dinner with the rest of my district. That day was actually kinda hard. No one wanted to listen to us that day. We had like, 2 lessons. But I wore red, white, and blue of course. And I decorated my daily planner all red, white, and blue that day. I just overall felt super proud to be an American, especially being here, where I see just how lucky we are in the states. We walk by the beach like everyday, so I kept thinking of you all every time we walked by the beach on the 4th, picturing you all enjoying your vacation at Cape May. Haha sounds like it wasn't quite the trip we're used to. I also guessed that you all would go to Dairy Queen at least once. Haha looks like I was right!

I told you a little about my birthday and how my district smashed my face into a cake at McDonalds. Haha that was funny. But messy. Everyone in McDonalds was staring at me as I walked to the bathroom to rinse off my face. The rest of the day was...eh. Not the best p-day. We were gonna do something as a district and go to a museum or do something else. Just us 6. But our zone leaders called our district leader and said that we didn't have a choice. We had to join the others in a museum in central Lima. It was alright. The museum was really small and we were the only ones there. Then we just went to a park to talk. And to snack on chips or something. And it was cold! But then everyone sang happy birthday to me again. Then my district left a little early so that we could all go out to dinner at Chili's. And wouldn't you know, they told the people that it was my birthday, so I got sung to again. Then the other hermanas from my district got robbed that night by a little drugged-up man with a huge knife, by the church! But that's another story.

Our district meeting was fun the next day because I got like 3 packages! THANK YOU SO MUCH! I LOVE YOU! I got a package from you, Allison, and Cami (and a little card from the mission offices with some chocolate). You all gave me some awesome stuff! Thanks! I was very happy with everything. And I love the skirt and the pajama pants. They're cute. And the skirt's got anchors! My, like, theme of life haha! On Thursday I had intercambios. I stayed here and Hermana Anderson came here to be my companion for 24 hours. It was really fun! And it was fun to talk and joke around in English all day. Although I can joke around in Spanish, it's just a little different in your native language. It surprised me a little that she let me speak English. When I had my first intercambio with her, we spoke Spanish until we got home that night. Probably because I was still new and I still needed a lot of practice. Haha she was also excited this time because she got to help me eat my American candy and birthday cake oreos. We also visited a less active who gave us little tiny apple pies that he and his wife make. We ate some, but also gave some away to other peple we visited. Oh, and it's gotten really cold here, so we have to bundle up, especially at night. And we get it the worst here because we're by the beach and get all the ocean breezes and such. So what have I been wearing to bed at night? That's right. The hobbit-feet slippers Allison made me! They're actually really comfortable. Hermana Anderson got a kick out of them. And the birthday card you sent me (the one with the little boy and his helmet and tiny shopping cart)! I got the biggest kick out of it too! That's the funniest birthday card ever! Hermana Anderson actually took a picture of it because she thought it as so funny.

I've been really trying to teach Hermana Zumba some English. She has to memorize some things and know some English before interviews on Friday. The mission has been really pushing this learn English thing. Sometimes, when I remember to do it, I'm like, "Okay, we're gonna pretend that we're on a mission in the United States and no one understands you when you speak Spanish." And then I speak to her in pure English and make her respond in English. But that's really tough for her, so it's not like I don't help her. There are a lot of words she doesn't know. So I help with that. But I make her explain and ask for help in English. The hardest part is that sometimes I forget to act like I can't understand her Spanish, especially when we leave a lesson and I forget to switch back into English when we're in the street. It's hard for her, but she's getting better! And she's really trying! She understands more and can speak a little more. She understands more than she can speak, but then again, that's how us Americans were as well when we got here.

A couple weeks ago, I taught my district the game "Sheep Pong". David, Brian, and Grace at least know what it is and can explain it to you. But I taught it to them, and now it's a hit! They laugh soooooo hard when we play it! Especially Hermana Bennett.  And her laugh is really contagious, so it made me laugh really hard as well.  We played it at a Family Home Evening a couple weeks ago and it was the craziest Family Home Evening I think I've ever been to. Everyone laughed so hard. And our cheeks hurt for days afterwards. We had another fun Family Home Evening last Monday night. The elders in our ward taught the lesson. And once again, we were put in charge of the game. So we played this game called "Abogado" or "Lawyer". I'll have to tach it when I come home. It was fun. But whoever lost had to dance "El Pollo" ("The Chicken"). I'll have to teach that one when I come home as well haha. But at the end they all made me dance "El Pollo", just because my birthday was the next day.

Sounds like Trek was fun! But hard! Glad you all could have that experience again. Haha that's funny about the Spanish names President Duckworth put for different parts of the trail. I appreciate that haha.

Oh my gosh! My mouth dropped when I read that thing about the The Mormon Tabernacle Choir summer concert! And that Santino Fontana's gonna be part of it! Okay, officially jealouos of Allison, Scott, and David. Have fun for me! That's awesome.

ALEMANIA GANO!!!! Germany won!!! I was rooting for them! I know David was too! It was kinda funny. We were at a house with the elders in our sector because we have someone that needed a blessing and needed a blessing on their house. So near the end of the blessing, we all just hear "GOOOOL!!!!" coming from another room. And then as soon as the blessing ended, the guy was like, "So...who was it, huh?" as kind of a joke. And then as we were leaving, he turned on the TV and it kinda looked like Germany won, but we weren't sure, so we asked a man in the street, and she told us that Germany won. I was happy, but one of the elders was all depressed because he was rooting for Argentina. Everyone was watching the game yesterday and drinking and partying and stuff, so it was hard to find people yesterday. Oh, and we got stopped and the street by 2 drunk, homeless people last night! It's always a little scary, but you just kinda have to do your best to avoid them and walk away the best you can. Sometimes run, when it's necessary. But it was a little funny because the first guy said a number of things and then he started talking to me about how my companion (who's native language is Spanish) couldn't understand him, but how I could haha! And then the drunk lady in the street was nice haha. She asked us for money and when we told her we didn't have anything, she was like, "Okay. Next time." Haha okay. Thank you?

P-day today is La Punta. We're apparently going to this place in Callao by the beach. I've never been. So we'll see how it is.

Anyway, I gotta go now. Hope you all have a great week!
Stay cool! Literally and figuratively, my friends.

Love,
Hermana Chrisanne Hymas

No comments:

Post a Comment