Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Getting Used to a New Area

Yeah, I'm getting a little more comfortable with my sector. I'm starting to get to know it a little more. I'm trying to think of things we've been doing this week. We need to do some things. We need to visit some ward members and establish some confianza there. My companion doesn't know many people, and she didn't even know we had a ward directory. I want to get started visiting the members so that they can help us out. We'll see what happens. While we had some really golden members in Magdalena, we also had a good number of members that never followed through or just didn't want much of a responsibility. My companion said it's kinda the same with some members here. We'll see. Maybe. Or maybe that's because she doeesn't know many of them all that well.

We fasted yesterday for one of our investigators, J L, so that he could get up the courage to come with us to church. He decided that he would, but then called us while we were fasting and told us that he couldn't because he had to pick someone up from the airport. Nooo! But I was still praying for some sort of miracle. I don't know if this is a miracle or not, but we found a less active lady, M, who was baptized when she was 18, but never went back because she felt like the Elder who baptized her forced her to be baptized. She was very hard-hearted when we talked to her and wanted to know how we got her address and how the Church knows where she lives. She also said she cannot accept another book that is not the Bible (The Book of Mormon). We explained a little bit and said we respected her decisions, but asked if we could share something small with her. She let us in and we started talking. It was a little rough. My companion wasn't saying too much and I had to continue to try to get to know this lady. And she looked angry. She told us how she's worried about her family. And so we shared a couple scriptures, in the Bible and The Book of Mormon, of comfort and bore our testimonies. Then we talked for a little bit, and when it came time to leave, she gave us a whole bag of crackers and walked us out completely different. She was smiling and laughing with us. She didn't want to set up another appointment yet, but said we can visit if we pass by and find her in her house and if she's not busy. Since she's still kinda new to this, we didn't want to push another appointment and make her mad. So now we're praying we can come back to visit her again and maybe start to teach her family members who aren't members of the Church. We'll see what happens, but I'm praying for her.

I really don't want to sound boastful, and I don't mean to, but I can see some of my personality and skills come into play here. My companion told me yesterday and this morning that she likes contacting with me because she said not only do I teach, but I do it in a way that's comfortable and I can establish trust and a relationship with the person. She likes how I'm comfortable and show interest in them. Well, the truth is is that that's important. No one will have any interest in you if you don't show interest in them. Like the stake conference you told me about at home. Make connections, not just contacts.

Hey guess what! I have Multi Zonas on the 23rd, and you know who's coming to speak to us? Elder Quentin L. Cook. That'll be good. I'm excited.

I'm running out of time, but I'm trying to think of things for your class. But I really don't have time to respond. Sorry! I'll try to think of things for your other classes. I really had so much I wanted to write you this week, just not very much time. Until next week!

Love you!

Hermana Chrisanne Hymas

No comments:

Post a Comment