Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Conference Weekend


I LOVED THE CONFERENCE!!! Yes, I watched it in English. I was in a room in our church building with a few other American missionaries from my stake. Oh my goodness, I was so thrilled to see David! When they announced the choir, I was like "Oh, my brother's singing in this choir!" A couple other Hermanas were like "Really? That's cool! Okay, tell us if you see him!" Then literally 2 seconds later I let out a loud "THAT'S HIM!" The other missionaries laughed and cheered and said things like "Well, that was fast." I kept seeing him too! After the first song, an Hermana here said "I saw your brother like 15 times." Hahahahaha that's super funny about the twitter pic! Bet David enjoys it. Watch out, Dave. Don't go getting a big head haha. Hahaha that's also cool/funny about being able to read the teleprompter!

I loved all the talks! I think the one that struck me the most though was Elder Holland's talk. Wow. Super good. I felt that too. Being a missionary is not easy. Haha we haven't quite had food spit at us or anything like that, but we've definitely had a few things shouted at us that irritate me and make me want to turn around and give them a peice of my mind. But, you just keep walking. And man, his talking about defending your faith. That stirred a bit of a fire within me. But a good one. It made me really proud to be a missionary. Proud to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Hmm...what else did I like. I really liked everything! But I really liked the talks by Elder Nelson, Elder Anderson, and Elder Bednar. I don't know why because it wasn't anything new to me but I really, really liked the talk by Lawrence E. Corbridge about Joseph Smith. Wow. I don't exactly know what it was, but it was super powerful to me. Ahhh Conference was so good and I was actually really sad when it ended. I wanted to keep listening.

We're a little stuck with some of our investigators this week (one of them came to the last session of Conference (which was a miracle), but kept dosing off). We'll see when we meet with her again and talk about the Conference. We've invited her to baptism, with a date too, but she won't accept a date yet. This week was all about the menos activos. Saturday morning we met a less active woman in the Church who ended up attending all 4 sessions of Conference. She hasn't been to church in a really long time, and then her visiting teachers visited her, and she was ready. She was praying, and felt the need to come back. Another miracle, considering that she's been really hard-hearted toward the Church for the longest time. And she brought a mon who lives in her building to the Conference too! So thanks to her, we have another new investigator! But the following is the most interesting experience to me. We have a list of people who have moved here, but don't come to church. A ton of them do not live in our sector or we cannot find them. There's one house we've tried, but we couldn't get in. So on Thursday, we left our house, and it wasn't part of our plans that day, but their house popped into my mind. It wasn't anything big, it was just a thought. So suggested to Hermana L that we go stop by the house again. We went, (turns out we've been ringing a broken intercom system), but luckily there was a man entering in and asked us if we'd like to enter as well. So we did, met with the mother, J, shared a little message, invited her to Conference, and left. She seemed really receptive, which was good. We also passed by to pick her up before Conference, but she wasn't home. So last night we passed by with our ward mission leader, JCs. We shared a message, and she broke down. Bawling. She asked us to sing "Soy Un Hijo De Dios" (I Am A Child of God) before leaving, so we did, and she started bawling even more. She looked at her 1 year old son and started crying even more. We all could tell it's because she knows what kind of person she needs to be as a member of the Church and an example for her kids. She thanked us for the visit and said she needed it. She's been going through some rough stuff in her life. She told us a little, and yeah, it's a bit of a sticky situation. And we didn't know this before, but she told us that she was praying for someone to come and visit her, and then we showed up at her door. Interesting how the Spirit worked through us, huh?

This made me think about the talk by Elder Bednar that I heard in the CCM about the Spirit and how it's not always going to be a huge spiritual experience. Many times, a spiritual prompting will just simply be a thought that comes to our heads. Well, that's exactly what happened to me with Jackie. I didn't have a huge spiritual prompting, I just had a simple thought to go, pass by her house, and try again.

Sounds like you've all had a good week! Brian's meeting his roommates....which is still cray cray. And you all went to see the West Chester kids in Bye Bye Birdie! That sounds funny! I bet it rocked. Marisa's got a great voice, and I haven't really heard the others sing, but oh man, I can just imagine Sami as the mom. I bet she was funny. Haha she's a funny girl. Man, I miss musicals.

This p-day we just went to a huge, dirty, crowed, shopping area called Gamarra. I bought a fleece jacket and a new watch. This is my 3rd watch in the mission... My first busted my first week in the mission field, and my second one just broke Saturday night. I swear if this one breaks...

I'm out of time and can't think of much else to say right now. Oh yeah, I LOVED how you sent me Girl Scout Cookies! Thin Mints!!!!

Hope you all have a great week! I hit 6 months on Wednesday! Super crazy. Feels like 3.
Love you.
 
Hermana Chrisanne Hymas
 
Photos:
1. We had dinner with a family and their 5 year old daughter drew pictures of my and my companion. Hermana Hymas? ...Or Hermana "Why so serious?"?
2. Pictures from cambios! With Hermana N and her brand new companion that she's training.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment