Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Week 2

¿Que en el mundo? What in the world? That's my favorite phrase in Spanish so far. My friends and I say it all the time. I'm sure it doesn't translate directly, but we hear it all the time around the CCM. Even from the latinos. Speaking of the latinos, they left this morning for the field. Sad...but we're all excited for them. We'll get a new batch of latinos and Americans early Thursday morning. I LOVE the latinos!!! They are honestly the sweetest people you will ever meet! And they are so patient with all our horrible Spanish. I'll miss my latina friends. They were so funny. One of them was hilarious. She loved my tiny hands haha. And she would always tell me to repeat after her, and in Spanish she'd say things like, "I want my boyfriend back" or "I want my pig". Yo quiero mi chanco. And after I say it, she and all the other latinas crack up. So we decided to teach some of them some English. Hearing that one Hermana try to say "curling iron" is one of the funniest things I've ever witnessed. She'll break it up, but it's not all that easy for her to say, so she'll twist her face up and make the funniest faces as she trys to make the different sounds. Another Peruvian Hermana says "Hasta la vista, baby" all the time. And then she pretends to shoot you.
 
Okay, so Saturday. We drove like an hour to areas in the Lima North Mission. Most of us got paired up with a latino(a) companion and a member of the church there. I was paired with Hermana B from Cusco. She speaks no English. I was able to communicate with her a bit though with the little Spanish I know. It was a cool experience, but I wish I got to speak more. The member we were with spoke a ton! Like all. the. time. Hermana B didn't even speak very much. On the way home I was talking with a couple of my friends, Hermana L and Hermana E, both from Utah. Both are at the same place in Spanish as I am, and they were paired up as companions, with a latina member. But, they said it went really well! They got to teach 4 people and had such a great experience! I was like what?! That's so awesome for them, but what?! I heard of other stories like that, so I was pretty disappointed I didn't get to speak like, at all. Oh well, we do this every 2 weeks, so I've got a couple more chances. Man oh man, I wish I was allowed to take pictures of the area I was in. I feel so spoiled in the USA. These were some really poor people. They really don't have much at all. Also, there was dust everywhere. Well, dirt I guess. It felt like my lungs filled with it. Since then, I've had a pretty bad cough. And today I got a cold. Oh listerine and cough drops, please help me.
 
I know this is like a week late, but yeah! That's so exciting about my BYU acceptance! I told my friends here, and they're all excited for me, especially the ones that live in Utah. ...Let's be real, that's just about all of them. We decided after the mission, we'll have to meet up and have a siesta fiesta (sleepover). It's crazy, we've been here for 2 weeks, but I feel so close to everyone here. Hermana F and I get along really well. We basically just laugh all the time. More like I've known them for 2 years or something. A lot of people are really cool, but there are some people here where I'm like, are you serious? Yeah, my companion's American. She's from Utah. We're very different teachers. We'll prepare lessons for our investigator, L, and we just have a different method of going about it. That's fine though. It all works out. But we're also just different as we teach. Our teacher, who is also our fake investigator L, told her not to be afraid to speak up, and he said I've been getting better and better with my Spanish. There have been a couple times where he'll give me a thumbs up after I say something or bear a testimony in our lessons. He did that yesterday after I told a personal story and bore my testimony. My companion afterwards told me I did really well and that it was probably the best part of our lesson. It's interesting, I started feeling more comfortable with Spanish the day after my last letter. I'm starting to retain more words as well. Thank you for your prayers. I'm still struggling quite a bit, but I'm also progressing. I'm really trying not to compare myself to others, but rather compare myself to myself. I'm getting better day by day, poco a poco. I find I'm getting better at expressing myself with the little Spanish I know. My English gets weird and I misspell things sometimes. I've heard the same from other missionaries. That's a good sign, I guess.
 
Our teachers have been really hard on us. We have like a million assignments a night, along with memorizing like 3 things a day too. Everyone in all the other districts are shocked. Nobody else gets pushed nearly as much as we do. It stinks because it's stressful, but we're also grateful for it, because it's pushing us with our Spanish. Our teachers know we can't always accomplish everything they assign with the little time we're given, but like I said, it pushes us with our Spanish. Yesterday I memorized Moroni 10:4-5 in Spanish! I was so happy!
 
I so wish I was allowed to take pictures of the food here for you guys. We have very strict rules of when and where we can take pictures though. But I do have pictures! I'll have to send them asap! I don't have a cord to do that right now though. I've been meaning to check with other missionaries to see if any of theirs will fit my camera. We basically eat cereal (sometimes in yogurt) for breakfast, and white rice, meat, and potatoes for lunch and dinner. Sometimes they switch it up, but we always have rice.  I'm getting sick of all the rice. I've started to request no rice. Oh and Mom, I tried accepting the blog invite thing, but it wouldn't let me right now. I don't know if there's another way around it...? I saw your Murder Mystery pics! Fun! Funny that dad was the murderer. Speaking of which, my district leader reminds me of a young uh...I don't know his name. The evil leader guy in The Mentalist. He's a Red John suspect. Or at least when he still was in the last episode I saw. Again, don't tell me anything about what's happening. But yeah. Coincidence? ...I think not...haha
 
Have a great week! Love you!
 
Hermana Hymas








1 comment:

  1. I love that she is always so excited about things. Chrisanne always finds the "adventure" in any situation. I've always loved that about her.

    ReplyDelete